Posted: January 19th, 2023
After you read Acts IV and V of Mary Pix’s The Beau Defeated; or, The Lucky Younger Brother, A Comedy, pick two questions from Part A and one question from Part B to answer. Write in complete sentences using correct grammar. Points will be deducted for misuse of grammar and MLA style errors. The in-text citations for the play will look like this: (Act IV) or (Act V). The period will go after the last parenthesis.
1. Why do Elder Clerimont and Toby speak differently from the rest of the characters? What do you think Pix is trying to show by having these two characters speak in this manner?
2. In Act IV, what does Mrs. Fidget tell Lady Landsworth and why does she tell her this information? After Lady Landsworth hears this news about Young Clerimont, how does she act toward him? Why does she now react this way toward him?
3. At the end of Act IV, what does Young Clerimont decide he will do? How did he feel before and why do you think he changes his mind?
4. Describe the deception that has occurred concerning Elder Clerimont and Mrs. Rich? (Hint: Mrs. Clerimont and Belvoir are well aware of the deception.)
1. How does the ending of the play fit into the moral or point of the play? (Of course, you will need to tell what you think the moral or point of the play is.)
2. There are three couples that end up together at the end of the play. Tell who the three couples are. Then based on how or why they get together, discuss how one, two, or all of the couples’ reasons for getting together fit into the moral or point of the play. (Of course, you will need to tell what you think the moral or point of the play is.)
• Make sure you answer the three questions.
• Points will be deducted for misuse of grammar and MLA style errors.
Evidence and Supporting Details-20%
Style (including MLA style), Tone, and Syntax-20%
Grammatical and Mechanical Errors-20%
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.