Posted: May 7th, 2022
CEFS 504 Cultural Immersion Project
You will attend and actively participate in 2 events related to your selected cultural group. These events can be activities such as church services, Bible/religious studies, community organization meetings, volunteer work at homeless shelters or food kitchens, attendance at support group meetings, fund-raising events, school-related meetings or activities, etc. The key thing is that these activities are sponsored by or provided for your particular cultural group.
It is encouraged that you pray before attending and participating in these events, especially if you are considering attending a religious service outside of your faith tradition. You must spend at least 4 hours total engaged in these 2 events (approximately 2 hours per event). If you attend another cultural group’s church service, do not be surprised if the service is longer than you anticipated and if you are invited to a meal afterwards. Be aware that it may insult some cultural groups if you do not eat with them following the service. The entire event (church service plus meal) counts as 1 activity.
You will answer the prompts listed below. Please follow these guidelines in composing your paper:
· This paper must be approximately 1,500 words in length
· Please note: the quality of your answer is more important than the word count.
· You may expand further, but you do not have to do so.
· First person may be used in your answers.
· Please utilize current APA style.
· The paper must have a correct title page, and you must use a reference page (no abstract is needed).
· The major points of your research are to be supported by 3 scholarly sources and Internet and/or media sources from the Cultural Immersion Project Research Assignment.
· Three scholarly resources should be present to support counseling techniques and theories for this group.
With any activity, it is important that you interact with members of the cultural group to develop an understanding of the event and the motivations of individuals in participating in them. Consider some of these factors:
· What are the purposes of the activity/event?
· What are the cultural underpinnings?
· What are the associated religious beliefs or values?
· What are the social beliefs or values?
· What are the political beliefs or values?
· What are the economic beliefs or values?
It is recommended that you use the following questions as level 1 headings to organize your paper (you can shorten the question into a level 1 heading/title). A template is provided for this assignment to help with APA formatting and organization.
1. What events did you attend? What happened? (approximately 250 words)
1. How did your experience of actual cultural events compare with the expectations you had developed from the readings and Internet/media explorations you did in Cultural Immersion Project – Part 1? (approximately 250 words)
1. How did participation in these immersion events impact you emotionally? In other words, what was it like to be a minority in this group? (approximately 250 words)
1. As you consider your own cultural background, why do you think you responded the way you did? (approximately 250 words)
1. What are some key things that you have learned about this culture through these events? (approximately 250 words)
1. Discuss counseling theories and techniques that have been empirically validated as effective with this group. You can use the McGoldrick et al. text for this section, and peer reviewed articles. Use a minimum of three resources. (approximately 250 words).
· Student identifies three theoretical approaches (i.e. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Reality Therapy, Person-Centered, etc.) that have been empirically validated as effective with the selected group (for any credit student must cite a peer reviewed journal supporting the use of the theory given).
· Student identifies three counseling techniques (miracle question, reflective listening, thought-stopping techniques, mindfulness, etc.) that have been empirically validated as effective with the selected group (for any credit student must cite a peer reviewed journal supporting the use of the technique given).
· Student describes how characteristics noted above relate to counseling with this group, including resilience building and eliminating obstacles and illuminating opportunities.
Note: Submit your paper in the course and in Tevera/LiveText:
· If you are a School Counseling student, please submit to LiveText.
· If you are a Clinical Mental Health/Professional Counseling student, please submit to Tevera.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
Page 1 of 2
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.